Contract administrator for construction contracts
In the construction industry, the contract administrator is the individual responsible for administering the construction standard contracts.
The contract administrator may be the project architect, but could also be the lead consultant from our team, the cost consultant, a specialist consultant, a client representative or employer’s agent, the project manager or an engineer. On a construction management contract, the role of contract administrator might be attributed to the construction manager, and on management contracts the management contractor will perform the role of contract administrator.
Contract administrators are appointed by the client, but when certifying or giving an assessment or decision, they should act honestly and reasonably and their decisions are open to challenge via the dispute resolution procedure unless the contract makes their decisions final and conclusive.
The contract administrator’s role will generally include:
- Inviting and processing tenders
- Preparing contract documents for execution
- Administrating change control procedures
- Seeking instructions from the client in relation to the contract
- Issuing instructions such as variations, or relating to prime cost sums or making good defects
- Considering claims
- Chairing construction progress meetings
- Preparing and issuing construction progress reports
- Coordinating and instructing site inspectors
- Agreeing commissioning and testing procedures
- Agreeing defects reporting procedures
- Ensuring that project documentation is issued to the client
- Issuing certificates of practical completion and interim certificates
- Collating and issuing schedules of defects
- Issuing the certificate of making good defects
- Issuing the final certificate
We would happily recommend Barry (Architects Atelier) to friends and neighbours to provide the design ideas that help turn our vision in to reality. Barry made suggestions that we had not thought of that significantly improved the outcome of the Kitchen and Garden room extension to our house. A very easy to work with professional who knows his stuff.
Paul Brack, iCloud